Wednesday, March 07, 2007

new and improved chili

I have always made good chili.
Now I make better chili.

Once upon a time ... I was hungry.

Like a dog looking for a bone I went to the cupboards and cool box (aka. 'fridge) to find something to eat. Here is what I found ...

- leftover homemade french onion soup (about 3 cups)
- jalapeno peppers (3 big ones)
- ground bison meat (about 1 pound)
- mixed beans (about 3 cups of dried bean medley)
- coconut milk (1 can)

... and inspiration dawned!

Ground bison into my favorite pot to brown. I like to break it up very fine as it cooks and add some chili powder while it's cooking. Just before it's done I added the onion soup and beans and simmer until the beans begin to soften. More chili powder, salt, pepper and garlic. A few dashes of Tabasco, a couple drops of something called Dave's Total Insanity Sauce (an habanero sauce). Add chopped jalapenos, seeds and all as I only had 3 peppers. Simmer. Add coconut milk. Simmer some more. Serve with toasted garlic bread.

The new and improved parts of this recipe are the use of french onion soup (instead of onions) and coconut milk (and no tomatoes). Both added new dimensions of flavor to the chili. Like all my recipes this one is flexible and you could substitute beef for the buffalo, canned beans for the dried beans and/or use other types of peppers. I am looking forward to making it again and adding some cubed grilled sausage and maybe a small can of tomato paste that I passed over on the first time around.
And some fresh cilantro.
And with cheesy toasted garlic bread.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home